Preventing Roof Falls
Roof falls can be prevented. With roofing fatalities at an all-time high, we should be trying to take precautions and taking steps to prevent these falls. According to the U.S. Bur eau of Labor and Statistics, about 50 roofers are killed by falls each year (Census of Fatal Occupational Injuries, 2014). Don’t take any chances. You can’t afford it.
You can prevent falls by;
- Make sure to wear a harness
- Use guardrails or lifelines
- Be sure to inspect all fall protection equipment
- Be sure to guard or cover all holes, openings, and skylights
- Choose the right ladder for the job
- Secure the ladder
- Always face the ladder
- Never carry anything in your hands when climbing a ladder.
- Use a hoist to get materials and tools up and down
Taking some simple precautions can save your life.
Census of Fatal Occupational Injuries (CFOI) - Current and Revised Data. (2014, September 10). Retrieved March 26, 2015, from http://www.bls.gov/iif/oshcfoi1.htm