10 Roofing Safety Tips
Best Roofing, as a rule does generally not recommend inspecting your roof yourself. We always say let the professionals handle it but we also understand that there are, at times, the need to check for damage, leaks or to repair something small. Best Roofing cares and we want you to stay safe. Being a roofer isn’t easy and we know that every time you walk on a roof you are taking a risk. One of the most hazardous sectors in the construction industry is roofing. According to the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics, roofing is strenuous and dangerous work and it demands heavy lifting, climbing, bending, and kneeling. Roofers are at a greater risk of slipping or falling from scaffolds, ladders, or roofs- which is why a professional roofing company like Best Roofing complies with OSHA standards of safety and consistently provides safety training to our roofing crews. It’s our motto – SAFETY 365.
Here goes out 10 top safety tips;
- Never go onto a roof alone: Always have someone with you just in case.
- Always check ladder for any defects and make sure your facing the ladder. DO NOT carry awkward or heavy loads up ladders.
- Always keep ladders at least 10 feet from electrical lines to avoid electrocution.
- Wear proper shoes and be sure to wear boots or shoes with good tread and rubber soles when you go onto your roof, you don’t want to slip and fall.
- If you are more than 6ft above ground fall protection must be in place such as guardrails, safety net systems, personal fall-arrest systems, etc.
- Wear protective headgear and goggles when going onto a roof and using any materials.
- Never go on the roof while it’s raining, snowing or is very windy.
- Never work on your roof while taking certain medications that could cause drowsiness. Also, never work on a roof while intoxicated and on hot summer days, remember to drink plenty of water.
- If you are uncomfortable with heights or if you feel unstable on a ladder do not climb up on a roof. You should know your physical limitations and only do something you know how to do.
- Rely On a Professional Roofer. As the leading roofing contractor in Florida, Best Roofing can inspect your roof and assess any damage. Don’t put yourself in a harmful situation, let an expert take care of it.
If you have any questions about safety or anything else, please don’t hesitate. Visit us on the web or give us a call. (888)-892-BEST